Dr. B.R. Ambedkar College was established in 1973 at Village Betai under P.S. (now Sub-Division) Tehatta, District Nadia in West Bengal. Though once a very backward border-village full of jungles infested with wild animals. Betai made a place in the educational map of India with the inception of this Degree College named after Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, the chief architect of the Constitution of India and the life-long crusader for the dignity of the depressed and the downtrodden people. More than ninety percent people of the area under Nadia and a part of Murshidabad District served by this college belong to SC, ST, BC (Backward Class) and poor minority communities. Most of the residents mainly of Nadia District along the border area rootless refugees from East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) who settled here after the partition of India in 1947.